Large Scale Land Acquisitions in Africa – How to prevent corporate capture, Human Rights violations and conflict
When: December 10th at 10:30 – 14:30 (Brussels), 9:30-13:30 (Sierra Leone)
Language: English and French.
WATCH THE FULL RECORDING OF THE EVENT HERE
VIDEO SUMMARY (also available with French subtitles)
FINAL PROGRAMME (ENGLISH – FRENCH)
On behalf of the West African Global Convergence for Land, Water and Seeds Struggles and its partners in an informal pan-African platform Our Land is Our Life together with international partners from Europe, we would like to cordially invite you to the official Launching Ceremony of the Land Policy Brief Series on “Large Scale Land Acquisitions (LSLAs) in Africa”. Lessons learnt from specific LSLA in Sierra Leone (Addax/Sunbird Bioenergy SL Ltd and Socfin Agricultural Company SL Ltd.) and DR Congo (Feronia) lead to recommendations for better policies and practice addressed to European and African governments and their respective Development banks.
Integrated as one of the two main culminating events of the 21-day 2021 Caravan that ends in Sierra Leone, the launch of these Policy papers will be celebrated with participation from local and community representatives, civil society and international actors.
Opening prayers by Fr. Germain Rajoelison, Director of Justice Peace and Development Commission, SECAM and Imam.
Welcome Address and Introduction by Abass J. Kamara, Deputy National Coordinator and Lansana Hassan Sowa, Head of Programmes, SiLNoRF
– Relevance of the West African Caravan 2021 by Massa Kone, CGLTE-OA Spokesperson
– Position of the Church in the Struggle for Land, Water and Seeds by the President Council of Churches Sierra Leone (CCSL)
– Position of Women in the Struggle for Land, Water and Seeds by a Woman representative from CGLTE-OA
Launch of policy briefs
Presentation & recommendations
1. Addax/Sunbird Bioenergy by Joseph Saffa, Consultant/Researcher and Zainab R. Kamara, Representative from(Addax/Sunbird communities
2. Socfin Agricultural Company by Joseph Rahall (Executive Director, Green Scenery Sierra Leone) and Female representative from Socfin communities
Keynote speech by Dr. Mammadou Goita, Executive Director, Institute for Research and Promotion of Alternatives in Development
Panel discussion on the policy briefs recommendations followed by Q&A session
- Ministry of Agriculture
- Office of the Vice President
- Joseph Rahall (Green Scenery)
- Aminata Finda Massaquoi (Woman Leader)
- Florence Kroff (FIAN International)
- Dauda York (Traditional Chief from the Gambia)
Moderation: Umaru Fofanah (BBC)
1. Concluding remarks on the panel discussion by Dr. Mammadou Goita, (Institute for Research and Promotion of Alternatives in Development)
2. Closing remarks by Isabelle Manimben, CCFD-Terre Solidaire and CIDSE land working group
Event organised with the financial support of the European Union and the Belgian Development Cooperation.
The contents are the sole responsibility of the organisers and the speakers and can in no way be taken to reflect the official opinion of the European Union and the Belgian institution.