Transforming Development Aid to support agroecology
Policy Briefing by CIDSE and the Centre for Agroecology, Water and Resilience (CAWR) of Coventry University. April 2021
In this policy briefing, launched during a webinar on 19 April 2021, we synthesise the findings from the research commissioned by CIDSE to Agroecology Now! on how we can ‘make money move for agroecology’. We make the case for reforming the way agricultural and food systems development is financed so we can achieve the transformations that we desperately need. Agroecology is the best approach to guide this transformation.
Drawing on the collective intelligence of leading agroecologists and donors, we identify twelve different areas through which donors can focus their methods and approach to financing to support more just and sustainable food systems.
These are organised through five sets of recommendations:
- Engage in iterative reflection and examination of donor practices;
- Transform relationships between funders and recipients;
- Change funding modalities, methodologies and foci for delivering funding;
- Create and adopt more appropriate measurement and evaluation tools;
- Address the big picture issues that undermine a more just and sustainable food system, including especially shifting funding away from detrimental forms of agriculture.
This policy briefing follows on our first publication “Finance for agroecology: more just than a dream? An assessment of European and international institutions’ contributions to food system transformation” that focused on the quantity of European and international institutions’ contributions to food system transformation.
The policy briefing is available for download in English, French and Spanish.
This publication is co-funded by the European Union.