The EU-LAT Network, the Europe-Peru Platform and CIDSE are European networks focused on the promotion of Human Rights in Latin America. As members of these organizations, we want to express our deep concern about the current institutional and political crisis that Peru is experiencing nowadays; five months before the elections, and after the decision of the Congress to dismiss the president of the Executive Martín Vizcarra.
This dismission occurs in a complex situation due to the multiple crises that affect Peru – health, social, economic, environmental, and climatic – that compromise the fragile stability and institutional framework of the country.
We want to express our indignation and rejection of the disproportionate use of force by the police, repressing the many public demonstrations. Since November 9th, a large number of citizens, mainly young people, have taken to the streets to express their rejection and exercise their right to peaceful protest. The violent intervention of the police has caused the death of 2 people, 114 injured, 9 people missing and a large number of arrests. Violent acts against journalists and photographers from various media have also been noted.
From our organizations, we want to transmit our solidarity with the Peruvian people and we urge the European Union and its Member States to:
- Express their disagreement with the violation of human rights by the Peruvian State and to use all existing channels and mechanisms so that the different institutions of the Peruvian State guarantee constitutional order, respect for institutions, democracy, the separation of powers and the full enforcement of human rights.
- Ensure respect for human rights, especially the right to freedom of expression and the right to protest.
- Demand a thorough investigation of all events, especially the arbitrary detentions, the disproportionate use of force, deaths, and disappearances, in order to determine responsibilities and penalties.
- Ensure that the penal system is not misused in order to criminalize protests.
- Open new spaces and channels for dialogue with Peruvian civil society to have indepth analysis and updated information from different sources.
- Ensure that the process around the national elections called for April 11, 2021, is transparent and in accordance with international standards.
- Guarantee international observation throughout the electoral election process and, if the presence of observers on the ground is not feasible due to the COVID-19 pandemic, establish alternative mechanisms for democratic control
EU- LAT Network
Main photo: protests in Lima against parliamentary coup – Wikimedia Commons