Remark: This page will be regularly updated during the Africa-Europe week. Stay tuned!
The Africa-Europe week will start on 14 February and end up on 17-18 February with the sixth AU-EU (African Union-European Union) Summit where African and EU officials will close the negotiations of the EU-AU Partnership and present their main outcomes: an investment package and a joint declaration.
Civil society organisations represent a huge part of engaged citizens. Yet, they have barely been included in the consultation process of the EU-AU Partnership. CIDSE, together with European and African civil society organisations are mobilizing to make sure the voices of African peoples are heard at the AU-EU Summit. In particular, CIDSE will be involved in the following events and activities:
14 February (09:00-17:00 CET):
African People’s Summit, an initiative of the African Platform “Our land is Our Life” with Michael Fahkri, UN Special Rapporteur on the right to food as special guest. The event will conclude with the release of the People’s Summit Declaration and will be followed by a media event (17:00 – 18:00), during which journalists can arrange personal interviews with Michael Fakhri and other speakers. NEW: People’s Summit declaration
15 February: Civil Society Forum (09:30-17:00 CET) – NEW: “No decision about us without us!”, Joint African-European civil society statement to all Heads of States and government dignitaries attending the 6th EU-AU Summit – CONCORD (concordeurope.org)
Session 6 (11:15-12:15): Supporting family farmers and the right to food for all.
Session 10: (14:00-15:00) Food sovereignty and rural transformation through agroecology and land justice.
- CIDSE press release, 11 February 2022: “The EU and the AU are building a partnership that ignores the real demands of African people”
- Press kit for journalists
- Virtual media space at the closing of the African People’s Summit (Monday 14 February, 17.00-18.00 CET) during which journalists will be able to arrange personal interviews with speakers.
- Publication in Euractiv, 17 February 2022
- Reflecting on the upcoming EU-AU summit, interview with Fr. Chika Onyejiuwa, AEFJN, February 2022
- A Still unequal Partnership: the EU-AU summit CIDSE, October 2021
Credit cover photo: Christophe Smets, La Boîte à Images